Thursday, February 23, 2012

Raised Bed Gardening


I think about it a lot, the farm that sets in Boone County... just an hour and a half away from me. It was home to my Mom and Dad, her parents, their parents and so on going back to 1860. It's where I ran barefoot in the summer, fed chickens and rode in the International pickup with Grandpa as he fed the cows. Heartstrings, definitely.



There's hardly a day goes by that a pleasant memory of that place doesn't pop into my head. I came away from there imprinted with a love of the land; the smell of hay and grain, the pleasures of gathering eggs, the desire to get up early so I don't miss sunrises and a love of everything country.



I'm not the only one who dreams of a simpler time. We have a resurgence of self sufficiency going in America right now. It's one of the few things that you can call "positive" that has come with the recession. We all want to feel more in control of our food and resources. Saving money and being healthy are important to each and everyone of us.


A starting point is planning a garden. Even if you've never grew so much as a house plant, it's not complicated or hard to do! The good news is, there is information and help out there just for the asking. The local Farmers Co-Op has everything you need to get started, from seeds to soil... and the people to guide you every step of the way! Right now they have a new raised bed garden kit called the GeoPlanter. Easy to assemble, it's made of a geo-textile fabric that promotes healthy root growth. Everyone knows that in hard container gardening, once the roots reach the walls they circle and eventually strangle the plant. With GeoPlanters, the roots are air puned once they reach the fabric container walls. This pruning forces the branching of the fibrous root tips throughout the plant container. The end result is healthy, vigorous plants that grow faster and produce more.


Made in the USA, reusable for many growing seasons, easy to store when not in use ... it's on my want list!

20 comments:

  1. I'm going to check out that planter. I use raised beds here because the clay is so HARD. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say we have rocks and 1 teaspoon of dirt, sadly our gardening is limited because of the deer too. I do container gardening though and this GeoPlanter is a great way for me to have a little salad garden.

      Delete
  2. Very nifty!! I love the concept of raised bed gardening. I'll be keeping an eye open for these. Great photos :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every spring I get so excited about growing things, guess it's in my blood. My parents and grandparents always grew huge gardens and put up a great deal of the food we ate. That's a good feeling to have a full pantry!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think we may actually have an "early spring" this year. The days are 50's and 60's already. Usually have frost up until mid April so it's gambling to put much out this early. When we lived in Texas I loved the ability to grow practically year round, the watering was the problem with restrictions. Our neighbors the Martins would share from their big garden, they were so nice to us!

      Delete
  4. Geo-planter is the way to go! What a fabulous product and what a blessing that you were able to grow up surrounded by open fields and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blessing Lisa! Even though I grew up in a city, the farm was always a big part of my life. My parents eventually retired there so it really is Home Sweet Home to our whole family!

      Delete
  5. Hey It's Cheri from Its So Very Cheri.

    Thanks for coming by. I will be signing up to follow you and look forward to getting to know you better.

    I will poke around and check out your blog.

    Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed my visit to your blog so much! I'm always finding great new ones and love to share with readers when I do. Come visit anytime!

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to convince the Prez to do container gardening for years. This thing sounds GREAT!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here anything that can be put up out of the reach of hungry deer is the ONLY way we can have tomatoes. It's a love/hate relationship we have with them, they gotta eat too I guess but one bite out of the top of plants is their favorite trick! Arrrg!

      Delete
  7. Joycee
    It's amazing the new ways of gardening they've created. I love it! My dad was a huge gardener and everything had to be placed just like the pkg instructed. but now we grow more intensively
    and it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and Dad always had a garden, but when they retired and moved back to the family farm they grew practically everything. It was a LOT of work and we'd all pitch in when it was time to dig potatoes, pick beans or shell popcorn. Mom canned or froze things all summer long and then everytime we'd go visit she'd insist we take home a jar or two of tomatoes or beans. It was wonderful to have home canned food, so delicious. Good memories and I guess that I inherited the love of "digging in the dirt!"

      Delete
  8. I have very pleasant memories of my grandparents place, too. My sister and I inherited it and never get to go there and the memories, or I should say nightmares it's causing now, are not good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a worry for sure. I am too far to really do much work over there since our parents need us on a daily basis now. Some day there will be time to take care of the farm again...

      Delete
  9. "Granny Mountain" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/02/sites-to-see_24.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I look forward to reading the blogs you'be highlighted!

      Delete
  10. I tell everyone I know that you can grow a lot of veggies in a flower bed!

    You don't really need a farm. I have had a vegetable garden in every house before the move to the country. My first was just 10x10. You can grow an amazing amount in a small size plot.

    I don't do the raised beds, but I have done a lot of lasagna gardening over the last 3-4 years. If you have the resources, it is really a simple,almost no-cost way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are with you 100%. Just started a little row of spinach about 2 weeks ago and it's sprouting...the first crop of spring. We also grow alfalfa and radish sprouts in the kitchen during the winter, so we can have something fresh all year around!

    Wyatt's mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...