Thursday, March 8, 2012

Easter Bunny Flowers

Put on your sunglasses, Mother Nature is bringing out her brightest colors to WOW us! Everywhere you look there are daffodils popping out of the ground. Bulbs are my all time favorite thing to plant, all you do is dig, drop and then every spring when you think the "cool drearies" are gonna get you... the crocus pop up. Then the jonquil, hyacinth and tulips join in until the whole yard looks like the Easter Bunny made a visit and brought YOU surprises! We are a full month or more ahead of a "normal spring," but winter may not be finished with us yet. I am tempted to put out tender annuals every year and then freezing temperatures kill them. As long as you stick with pansies, dianthus, snapdragons and any of the "cole crops" like ornamental cabbage or kale, you won't be disappointed.

I planted pansies in the big planters on the front porch last week. A flat of them is perfect to fill the pots. They are so pretty with their sweet faces in shades of rich purple, lavendar and yellow... just like an Easter Basket!

When I saw the display of ornamental cabbages at Farmers Co-op the other day the wheels started turning in my brain. It occured to me I could plant my favorite spring colors for summer too! I love the purple and lime green combination and I'm seeing it in all the gardening magazines right now.

Container gardening gives you a big pop of color, much less expensive than doing a whole flower bed. I don't know about you, but plants just make me feel better. I love setting out on the patio after supper with a big glass of tea and catching that faint fragrance from petunias trailing out of a clay pot.

When we were in Texas visiting our daughter recently, she was showing me one of her finds from her thrift store. She hadn't found a use for it, but THIS would be a great way for her to have a salad garden just out her back door! Lined with sphagnam moss, this three tiered fruit and vege basket could easily be planted with different types of lettuce and herbs.

The Co-op had Ozark Beauty strawberries out, they thrive on Spring's cool, wet weather. In only two short months you can have plenty of big fat berries for strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry cake, strawberries and ice cream... oh, and you can eat them plain too!

Love this chick feeder planted with hyacinths. If you make a trip to the 
Farmers Co-op... they have them for only $4.29, REALLY!

It's all about making a retreat, your own private Shangrila! Start with your favorite colors and then just add a few every shopping trip until the backyard becomes your favorite place to be...
HOME SWEET HOME!

Just in case you were a smart cookie and planted lettuce that's now coming up, I want to share this recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Hot Bacon Salad from Amish Country Cooking. We vacationed in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania years ago and loved the delicious "Good and Plenty" buffets. Every kind of salad known to mankind was on those buffet tables. This one is delicious, similar to an Ozark Wilted Salad, but this dressing is creamy and slightly sweet. Perfect with fried chicken or a meatloaf, try it and you'll know why it's an Amish favorite.


3 slices bacon (crisp and chopped)   Click HERE to PRINT
1 egg (beaten)
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
lettuce from the garden (or a spring mix lettuce from the grocery)
mild white onion or fresh spring onions from the garden (chopped)

Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel. Stir together flour, milk, vinegar, sugar and salt then stir into hot bacon grease. Pour over lettuce, toss and top with crumbled bacon and onion.

6 comments:

  1. you have major spring fever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so lovely! I need to get out more and see what's popping up in my area. I did venture out into the backyard the other day and noticed the bluebonnets were coming up. That's about as far as I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a mild winter here that we just keep waiting for the "ax to fall." I really think spring is here to stay this year and I'm doing a little happy dance... can you see me???

      Delete
  3. How pretty!! You are a wee bit ahead of us...our daffs are just showing some color..maybe 3 weeks out. Can't wait and then the tulips...wheeee!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tulips too, so do the deer! I'll revel in the blooms and then look out later in the day and the tops are GONE... arrrrggg! Have tried everything and nothing works. Do you have deer problem where you live?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...