Monday, June 11, 2012

Fast, Easy and Fun?


I saw on the City Wire that Wal-mart is expanding it's Self Check-Out lines to save on costs. It blows me away that Wal-mart spends a whopping $12 million every second with cashier wages. That puts into perspective the move to find savings wherever they can. I use the self check-out often, especially if I have a few items and want to get through quickly. It can be a faster solution or a slower one, depending on a few things. If you have a lot of produce or anything you have to enter manually, then the cashier assisted lines are a better choice. They know the codes for produce and I'm slow as molasses looking up New Red Potatoes in the maze of about a dozen choices of spuds. Same thing with garden items that come in trays. They can override the system and scan multiple plants while I would have to do one at a time.

A few years ago we were part of a Nielsen program that scanned products and reported our usage monthly. They sent me a little scanner of my own and it was as simple as scan the things we bought and then send the total on a designated day. Wal-mart and other companies are very interested in our buying habits. That's what they do best. Monday meetings are about keeping their costs as low as they can in this terrible economy. They listen and whether you like the company or not, their goal isn't just making money, it's making new customers and keeping them. How well do you think they are doing? If you had to give a score would it be a 10?

16 comments:

  1. I don't go very often, so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of our daughter would rather take a whipping than go to Walmart...

      Delete
  2. I had heard that customers were not fond of the self check-out lines and that they were removing them. We prefer people...THEY need the jobs...don't you agree?...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that self serve everything is the future, eventually there won't be any people to answer phones or ring up purchases. I think it started with self service gasoline pumps, my age is showing!

      Delete
  3. We did that Nielsen's scanning many years ago too. It was fun and I got a lot of coupons in return. I am always amazed if I get through a self checkout without assistance because something won't scan. I prefer the cashier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met anyone else that did the Nielsen scanning! I loved those coupons too. It has prepared me for the world we live in, I still scan my own at Walmart unless it's a big order.

      Delete
  4. i know lots of folks don't like them, but we've been hoping/waiting for one to come to our town for years! there are 4 different walmarts i will go to (when i need to stock up on dog food, bird seed, paper products, laundry soaps, etc.) but they are all between 25 - 30 miles away in any of 4 directions. not exactly convenient, but worth the savings if i have to buy a lot. otherwise, my local grocer (11 miles away) gets my business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Neighborhood Markets that Walmart have are great... in and OUT! I like anything that saves me money in a hurry!

      Delete
  5. I give Walmart a 10, in most towns. Since we travel frequently, we usually need to find the nearest Walmart is in whatever area we're in. I like self checkout, they need more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jeri, we just got back from a trip to Cincinnati and hit several Walmarts along the way. I use them as a bank since you can get $100 over your purchase at any of them.

      Delete
  6. I dont really care for the self check-out very much, but I do know lots of folks do! Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it's about 50/50 on here, either you like it or you don't! It sure is nice to have a smiling human on the other side of the counter. Trouble is, that doesn't happen many places these days. Surly(did I spell that right?)service makes me not want to go back...

      Delete
  7. I go to Walmart all the time to buy groceries, I think they're a 10 for prices, but a 5 for service. The lines are always LONG! (too few checkers and you can tell they are stressed buy trying to deal with so many customers). I absolutely HATE the self-scan machines. HATE!
    (I love to give my opinion, can you tell?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go, it's all about service! And if the machine doesn't work any faster than the person you just go away mad! Been there, done that!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. please dunt count the tepo's nd misspillings in mi psts or u will go cross-eyed!!!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...