Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Now is Now

OK, We're half-way through the year. I know, it's flying by me too. Assessing this morning and I can see I'm making a little progress with some of my New Year's Resolutions. One thing about getting older is you're more honest with yourself... and more forgiving! Even though I pledged to eat healthier, that doesn't mean Popsicles and ice cream sandwiches aren't in the freezer... for the GRANDkids, you know! And exercise happens in a different form now, summer walks and swimming in the lake... just not on the treadmill. The treadmill is for snowy days when I'm housebound. Rather than beat myself up for the things I've not accomplished, I like to focus on the stuff that I see as important. From Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project, the tools I need to make it work are right in my "toolbox."



A day, a month, then another year slips away from us. The video shows just how it happens and we are so busy "living life" that we forget to enjoy life. Could it be as simple as just making up your mind to be happy?  A bad childhood, a failed marriage or a broken relationship is our past, not our future.  Everyday is a chance to make happiness happen!

12 comments:

  1. I so believe in these words...it is how I honor my dad's memory...living each day to the fullest and being happy! Just like he did and what he would expect from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful way to honor him, some people live life to the fullest. That half full glass is the way to go. My Grandma used to say the "sun shines every day"....

      Delete
  2. This should be shared with all young mothers! How many times have I said to my grown children..."enjoy your babies and toddlers.....their childhood will be all to brief, then you find yourself experiencing college and off they go....and they will not need you as much as they used to!"....all we have is "now", you are so right! Let's strive to be happy! Thank you, as always, dear Joycee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just are too tired to savor the moments, been there and done that. Life has a way of getting away from us. Our GRANDson's graduation this past week makes me realize how fast he grew up :]

      Delete
  3. I remember, nearly 30 years ago, I was a harried young mum who had just moved across the ocean - new language, toddler, alone as my military husband was sent away immediately on our arrival. My new German landlady came to see me, and in passing, as she looked at my son she said 'This is the best time of life'. It really brought me up short - she was right!
    Happiness is something we can choose for ourselves. I hope you have a great summer - enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, I've heard my Mom say them too! It's fleeting and then gone, luckily we get to do it again in time with the GRANDS!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful write, Joy ... truth's therein lie.
    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday my grandson rode around with me on errands, he's already reached "bored of summer vacation!" We dropped off the mower for repair, hit a few flea markets and went through McDonald's drive-thru. Nothing special, just fun stuff. It was enough to make the day special for both of us...

      Delete
  5. Wise words. I always say you are as happy as you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! Time goes by so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...